○ Ten persons bring a bowl of rice each This means several people donate what they have even though it is little in amount. ○ Peppered bean paste is most suitable for boiled barley This means everything has its own pair.
○ The rice cake that looks good is also tasty This means everything should be good in its appearance as well as in its content. ○ One who had the taste of rice cake eats it This means one who knows the real taste of a food eats it with relish. ○ Rice cake cannot be eaten and the soup prepared with it is ruined for the cake is not fully done This means an undertaking has failed before being implemented. ○ What is hateful is the half-done rice cake ① This means as one is served with a food which he dislikes and which is half-done at that, he has every reason to reject it. ② This means everything has gone wrong with someone. ○ The rice cake is before the flower This means that rice cake rather than flower is good for a hungry man, and so foods are very important for man in living. ○ Rice cake that suits one’s taste This indicates a thing which one likes very much. ○ Roasting rice cake over the beacon This means one has carelessly arranged things to do an impossible task and so a good result cannot be expected. (A beacon is lit to signal an emergency for the country and it is next to impossible to approach it for its fierce flames.) ○ To trust someone as if he were rice cake This means fully trusting someone. ○ The rice cakes are good, and better is the vessel containing them This means that the something’s content is good, but what is better is its form. ○ As easy as eating rice cake This means an undertaking is all plain sailing.
○ Empty stomach after eating noodles This means one can eat other foods after eating a food quick of digestion. ○ Eat noodles This indicates “to get married” in a roundabout way, for it has been customary for the Korean to eat noodles at the end of a wedding ceremony. ○ He who makes dough-flake soup well makes noodles well This mean a man skilful in doing one thing is also skilful in doing similar things. ○ As if a coil of noodle strips becomes soft in warm soup This means everything is going on smoothly. ○ Like a vinegar bottle in a noodle house This indicates man who is always on a move like a vinegar bottle that changes hands in a noodle house.
○ Some men of small build eat as much adzuki porridge as those of large build. ○ Porridge that is fully boiled ○ Burning the tongue in hot porridge ○ Leftover porridge does not go long. ○ Eat even cold porridge while blowing on it. ○ It is neither porridge nor rice. ○ Urgent is the time when the boiled porridge is being cooled.
○ Cleansing the wok at the sight of a fish ○ Eating dried Alaska pollack and regretting at poor side dishes later ○ Fine bones of small fish hurt. ○ All cook croakers on the eighth day of the fourth month by the lunar calendar ○ Even though it is rotten, it is Chinese herring. ○ Though cheap, the roasted pieces of salted hair-tails are too tasty. ○ As thin as sweetfish in the seventh or eighth month by the lunar calendar